Apple officially unveiled their new iPad to the public today. This new iPad packs in a new Retina Display, a new A5X chip, quad-core graphics, a 5 MegaPixel camera that also shoots 1080p HD Video Recording, voice dictation, 4G LTE capabilities, and the same 10 hour battery life. Though this may not seem like much to some, this is a major breakthrough for Apple, since they added 4G and LTE capabilities.
“The new iPad redefines the category Apple created less than two years ago, delivering the most amazing experience people have ever had with technology,” Schiller said. “The new iPad now has the highest resolution display ever seen on a mobile device with 3.1 million pixels, delivering razor sharp text and unbelievable detail in photos and videos.”
Both AT&T and Verizon will carry the new 4G iPad, and for international users, Bell, Rogers, and Telus will also be carrying it.
Here are some main features of the new iPad:
- The new iPad features an A5X processor with quad-core graphics.
- Compared to the Nvidia Tegra 3, Apple says the A5X is twice as fast with four times the performance.
- The new iPad also has 44 percent better color saturation on its screen.
- An improved 5-megapixel camera is on the back of the device. It includes an infrared filter and ISP built in to the A5X chip.
- It also features auto-focus and auto-exposure, and uses the same optics system found in the iPhone 4S.
- The new camera can also record video in 1080p.
- There will be two different versions of the LTE-capable iPad models: one for AT&T and one for Verizon. Both will be able to roam worldwide in 3G.
- The iPad can also act as a personal hotspot, if supported by a carrier.
- It will also continue to be available in both black and white models.
- The iWork applications have also been updated to take advantage of the Retina Display. It will be a free update for those who already own Pages, Keynote or Numbers.
- GarageBand has also been updated to add Smart Strings and a note editor. iPads can be connected over iPad or Bluetooth to make music together. Content can be shared and pushed to iCloud.
- iMovie for iOS has also been updated, adding storyboards and new editing capabilities. It’s still $4.99 and a free update for those who already own.